Do you wonder if you are in the throes of awakening, whether or not this seems a long process, or quick?
Once awakening takes place and the mind has gotten used to this new way, there is a knowing within that a shift has occurred, and from then on, deepening and further understanding will grow.
However until such conviction arises, there is usually a period of wondering about your experience and questioning it.
So I thought it might be helpful to list a few signs and indications of spiritual awakening. This list comes from my own awakening experiences about 3 years ago, and from speaking to people in person or online. It seems many are at various stages and so I hope you find this list helpful. It is no particular order.
1. A sense of separateness from yourself. Greater awareness of yourself, or awareness of yourself in a new way, may lead you to feeling different about who you are and what you have been in the past.
2. Emptiness or void â€“ this may be felt greatly at the start of awakening, later becoming more a calm space from which life is experienced. If you are experiencing this void in an uncomfortable way, with an absence of emotion and thought, and an inability to get going with anything, then more inner work is required.
3. Able to feel your feelings â€“ this is usually learnt through an outpouring of emotion at the beginning of awakening (whatever period of time this may be). With humility and authenticity, such facing of oneâ€™s emotional self leads to being able to feel emotions with less embarrassment, and be released quicker. This gives you much freedom and fulfillment, because you can now take risks to show your emotions more â€“ including showing love, as well as allowing fears to be released.
As healing occurs, emotions can still be experienced more intensely sometimes, but now there is also an awareness of the whole experience of them, and at the same time, they donâ€™t have the sting. In other words, things are less personal, emotions are simply emotions, and not a statement about you.
4. More peace, joy, love and simply being â€˜okay.â€™ Thus now, when people ask â€˜How are you?â€™ and you say â€˜Iâ€™m fineâ€™, this time, you mean it.
5. Your goals may change â€“ you may no longer feel motivated by worldly success, fame and â€˜keeping up with the Jonesâ€™sâ€™ as before. Now, you may feel a greater wish to be of service in some way, according to your abilities and likes.
6. Thoughts become more functional, and there is more space between them, ie they become as if slower, your mind is less fraught and caught up in constant judgments and planning.
7. Possible changes to outer life â€“ work, relationships, location. As your old identity f
ades away, you may be drawn to making changes to your life that provide you with more fulfilment, satisfaction and joy. You may feel more committed and more able to take the risks to make changes that are a reflection of what fulfils you, rather than feeling obliged to fit in with othersâ€™ expectations. This is not a selfish way, but the opposite, because when we are happy within ourselves we are able to be there for others in a more loving and giving way also.
8. Mystical or inexplicable experiences occur more frequently. You become more aware of synchronicities, you may feel things occur sometimes by way of a message to you, or you may receive direct communications from other-world entities or intelligence. Eventual direct experience (ie felt in the body) of Source/Divine Consciousness may take away any last doubts of the nature of Reality / Truth.
9. Sense of your own power to create with thought, words, and actions. You may begin to want to contribute to others. And whether in unseen ways or more public ways you know it matters not, because you know that we are all equal. You know that there is no one more special than you, and equally you are not more special than another, for we are all equal, regardless of outer appearances, jobs, accolades or any other different aspect.
10. Less preoccupation with the â€˜meâ€™, â€˜myselfâ€™, â€˜my.â€™ Your own story and drama, as well as that of others, no longer sucks you in. There is a distance. If you do find yourself experiencing the drama, it soon loses its attraction. The â€˜meâ€™ is seen for the unreal aspect it is, and awareness of this â€˜meâ€™ becomes more prominent. In this process the â€˜meâ€™ falls away – ie becomes functional, rather than a preoccupation. Seemingly paradoxically, you are at the same time able to live more passionately and free in your expression in the moment. But it is not really a paradox because without attachment to the ‘me’ we are freed up to just be, as it is less about HOW we are being what we are being (intellect), and more about just BEING – whatever shape or form this may take in any given moment. It’s no longer as personal as it once was.
11. A knowing sense of connectedness / Oneness – you have an abiding knowing from within of the intrinsic inter-relatedness of everything, both living and non-living. You have a sense that now your life is a living manifestation of this Truth, and that you are It – as are all people. We are all (the) One.
Comments, as always, welcome.
- Om – Sacred Sound and Om Chanting - Mar 23, 2020
- Meditation From Science’s Point of View (Guest Post) - Mar 07, 2020
- What’s the Difference Between a Soul Plan Reading and a Psychic Reading? - Feb 25, 2020