This post is all about the many, many benefits of lemons.
I have been drinking lemon juice in warm water first thing in the morning for some years now on and off, and in recent times religiously everyday for the last 1-2 years. Basically, warm lemon water in the morning helps kick start the digestion process for the day and provides so many health benefits. I can vouch for its benefits in one regard which I’ll share with you further below. Ayurveda is also a proponent of lemon juice as a great health partner. But first here’s what you do.
What To Do
Before even brushing your teeth, you should drink, say, half a lemon (ideally organic) squeezed into warm (not too hot) purified water and wait some time (eg 10-20 mins) before eating or drinking anything else, or brushing your teeth. However it is very important to note that lemon juice when comes directly in contact with the teeth, can ruin the enamel on the teeth. Hence, it is advised to consume it diluted and also rinse your mouth thoroughly after drinking lemon juice. If you’re concerned about whether lemon is acidic in your body the answer is no because as it hits your insides it gets turned into an alkaline pH – the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once it is metabolized. If you want to test out your pH levels eBay has extremely cheap (like less than £1 incl. postage) pH strips you can purchase (they are not the best, but they are something). Basically, we’re aiming for a pH of 7 or so.
The health benefits of lemons have been known for centuries. There are even lemon diets where you drink pure lemon juice! I tried it for a day or so – very sour on the teeth but it felt fine. Lemons have strong antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-boosting properties, and also a digestive aid and liver cleanser. Lemons contain many nutrients including citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, bioflavonoids, pectin, and limonene. Lemons promote immunity and fight infection.
The Many Health Benefits of Lemons:
1. Alkalizing for the body: Lemons are acidic to begin with but they are alkaline-forming on body fluids helping to restore balance to the body’s pH.
2. Rich in vitamin C and flavonoids that work against infections like the flu and colds.
3. Excellent for the liver – dissolves uric acid and other poisons, liquefies the bile. A great liver detoxifier.
4. Bowel cleanser: Lemons increase peristalsis in the bowels, helping to create a bowel movement thus eliminating waste and helping with regularity.
5. The citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
6. It destroys intestinal worms.
7. When there is insufficient oxygen and difficulty in breathing (such as when mountain climbing) lemons are very helpful. The first man to reach the top of Mt. Everest, Edmund Hillary, said that his success on Mt. Everest was greatly due to lemons.
8. Lemons have powerful antibacterial properties; experiments have found the juice of lemons destroy the bacteria of malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other deadly diseases.
9. Blood vessels are strengthened by the vitamin P (bioflavinoids) in lemon thus prevents internal hemorrhage. Also, makes it useful in treating high blood pressure.
10. Symptoms of eye disorders, including diabetic retinopathy, have been shown in research studies to improve due to the rutin, found in lemons.
11. Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer compounds, including naturally occurring limonene; oil which slows or halts the growth of cancer tumors in animals, and flavonol glycosides which stop cell division in cancer cells.
12. According to The Reams Biological Ionization Theory (RBTI), the lemon is the ONLY food in the world that is anionic (an ion with a negative charge). All other foods are cationic (the ion has a positive charge.) This makes it extremely useful to health as it is the interaction between anions and cations that ultimately provides all cell energy.
13. Of great benefit to the skin, lemons prevent the formation of wrinkles and acne.
Finally, drinking warm lemon water each morning is a great discipline.
My Health Improvement
Some 8 years ago I was visiting India and literally the day after I got back to the UK my digestive system had gone awry, and from that day onwards for the next 5-6 years it did not settle. I had it all checked out and there was no gluten intolerance, no IBS, no other condition the doctors could isolate, even after a colonoscopy. I monitored it myself to check if it was some particular food or at times when I felt more stressed etc, but there was no pattern to be found. Then I went to the GP again and she suggested it might be a parasite I had picked up in India. This did seem to be the most likely cause all things being taken into account. But before I went for blood tests I had started drinking warm lemon water again regularly every single morning. And before I knew it, after just a few weeks, my digestive system was fine again, after so many years. I fully believe the continuous lemon use had anti-bacterial effects. I believe lemon juice did what the doctors could not!
I do have to add a disclaimer as follows:
Medical Precautions Note: If you suffer from heartburn, kidney or gall bladder problems or have a citrus allergy consult your doctor before drinking lemon juice. To protect your teeth enamel, wait at least half an hour before brushing your teeth after chewing, drinking or rinsing with lemon juice. Rubbing lemon juice or oil and drinking lemon juice is not suitable for children under the age of 10. Lemons are effective home remedies for a variety of health concerns but in the case of serious illness always consult your doctor first.
If you do take up this health practice then do share your experience. Remember that even if you go away for some days you can always take lemons with you if it’s in the same country, or get lemons abroad if you are travelling further afield. In most situations it won’t be too hard to get hold of lemons and warmed water.
Finally here’s some info about my eBook The Alkaline Diet Guidebook which looks shows you how to balance your pH and thereby improve your health.
Wishing you good health,
- Om – Sacred Sound and Om Chanting - Mar 23, 2020
- Meditation From Science’s Point of View (Guest Post) - Mar 07, 2020
- What’s the Difference Between a Soul Plan Reading and a Psychic Reading? - Feb 25, 2020